Sunday 10 May 2009

31st March 09

New York

I am in New York, today is our first day! We have just been on a bus tour of New York which ended near ground zero. A few of us went off to explore and we walked past the ground zero site. Next to it was a tall building, very official looking with security and blockades. One of the security men caught my eye, he had a very distinctive look, very all american. I approached him and asked if it would be alright to take a few pictures of him. I thought there might be a issue when I noticed that his uniform was police, but he was lovely and asked me why? I answered that he had a very interesting and distinguished look, this got a blush and bashful expression. He explained that he was part of a small group of people who participated in the rescue effort when the towers collapsed. He was an endearing man who is proud of his job and his country. This is not uncommon in america and to me he represents those who celebrate who they are without conceit.



1. 1/320 @ F5.6 ISO 250. Original image.
2. 1/320 @ F5.6 ISO 250. Edit. Converted to black and white, upped the contrast slighty. Also cropped slightly.

No comments: